Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Student Discourse & Parental Engagement

Posted by pdavies 
Student Discourse & Parental Engagement
January 28, 2015 03:30PM
Great to hear the Shard Symposium was a success! Unfortunately, living in Western Canada, I was unable to attend the event. I do look forward to sharing ideas on mathematical resilience throughout this coming year and would definitely be interested in traveling to the U.K. for any future events.

The math tutorials I develop focus on encouraging student discourse throughout the learning process. Student discourse serves as the catalyst for engaging parents in activities that support student learning at home, not by teaching math concepts directly, but through shared daily conversations and dialogue.

I am interested in the opinions and experiences of others regarding student discourse and parental engagement and the role both may play in developing mathematical resilience.
Re: Student Discourse & Parental Engagement
February 06, 2015 05:28PM
Good to hear from you and so pleased that the message is getting to people in Canada as well.

We will soon be issuing a call for papers for a conference on Mathematical Resilience to take place at Warwick University in November (probably 12th, 13th and 14th but tbc). We do so hope that you will be able to submit a paper on the work you are doing and, of course, attend the event. The idea of you engaging parents not to teach, but just to talk with their children about mathematics is so powerful, it may change so many people's mind about mathematics.

Hopefully meet you in November

Best wishes

Clare
July 05, 2015 10:22PM
If you would like a copy of the new Call for Papers from Practitioners, do let us know your email address.

We have extended the submission date.

Looking forward to meeting you in November.

All the best,

Sue Johnston-Wilder
July 08, 2015 03:13PM
That would be wonderful. I realized I had missed the first submission date, but would like to take advantage of any extension. Perhaps you could email the new Call for Papers from Practitioners to paul@thegetitguide.com

I'm in the process of setting up educational partnerships with school boards to pilot a web-based resource that uses communication strategies to facilitate parental engagement in supporting student learning at home. A critical piece of this process would be developing the mathematical resilience that you have described in your research.
I would be hopeful to share and discuss our experiences resulting from these partnerships.

Thanks for the opportunity

Paul Davies
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login